The The Edward Engates Memorial Scholarship in Computer Science was donated by the Engates Family in memory of Edward Engates.
- Recipients must be enrolled as full time students (full time as determined by the University) and actively pursuing a degree at The University of Texas at San Antonio or its successor. An exception may be made on a case-by-case basis when the student is not required to take full time credit hours to graduate, provided the student is enrolled in a minimum of 6 credit hours.
- A preference may be shown for applicants who have demonstrated financial need, as determined by the University's Office of Student Financial Aid.
- The Scholarship will be disbursed in equal amounts for the fall and spring semesters.
- Recipient must be majoring in Computer Science and have completed a minimum of 60 credit hours with a cumulative grade point average of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale.
- Recipients must be citizens or permanent residents of the United States.
- Applicants must submit an approved College of Sciences Scholarship Application.
- Recognizing that women are underrepresented in the field of computer science, to the extent allowed under the laws and University policy, preference should be given to female students who are graduates of San Antonio area high schools.
- Applicants are required to submit recommendations from two computer science faculty members and a 1-2 page essay in which they describe themselves, their specific professional goals and how they plan to pursue those goals during and after college.
How to apply:
- Login to the UTSA Scholarship Hub using your myUTSA ID and passphrase.
- Answer all the questions for the General Scholarship Application.
- Complete your General Scholarship Application by clicking Finish and Submit. Based on this application, you may be eligible for additional scholarship opportunities.
- Review every additional scholarship opportunity and its requirements by clicking Apply next to each. If you qualify, answer the accompanying questions and then select Finish and Submit for each.
Application Deadline for Summer 2020 Awards is Saturday June 20th at 11:59PM
Helpful Tips when on the UTSA Scholarship Hub
- Be prepared to provide essays, contact emails for individuals providing letters of recommendation and other documents that may be required. The application will state if letters of recommendation, essays, etc. are required for your scholarship.
- If you encounter problems or have questions about the General Scholarship Application, please view the Frequently Asked Questions. Some users may experience slow website performance as the deadline approaches.
- If selected for a scholarship, you’ll be notified by the organization managing the scholarship, usually by email. If awarded a scholarship, your overall need-based financial aid award may need to be adjusted.
- HELP TEXT – For additional information or clarification, click the gray circles with the question mark.
- PROVIDING REFERENCES – Not all scholarships require letters of recommendation. If a recommendation is needed, you will be prompted to enter the individual’s full name and email address. It’s expected that you respectfully request permission to use an individual as a reference prior to submitting their contact information. Once the contact information is submitted, an email is immediately sent to your reference with instructions on how to complete the recommendation. Please encourage a timely response from your reference. You will not be able to view the submitted recommendation, only that it has been received.